Database optimization implies creating such conditions for access and manipulation of data that provide maximum performance with minimum resource costs. Database developers may not often influence such an essential resource as server performance. Therefore, the more influential the hardware, the better. Consider the following areas that are subject to influence by developers and administrators of the database:
1) optimization of the database structure;
2) query optimization;
3) optimization of the client’s application program.
In turn, the optimization of the database structure is performed in the following areas:
- methods of data access;
- adjustment of internal DBMS mechanisms.
Query optimization consists of:
- building a database structure;
- optimization of the structure of indexes of database tables;
- optimization of query texts.